Review: The Impossibility of Tomorrow


The Impossibility of Tomorrow
Avery Williams
Series: Incarnation, #2
Release Date: June 4th, 2013
Publisher: Simon & Schuster BFYR
Rating: (A Very Generous) 2 stars
Word Rating: Ugh
Reviewed by: Blythe

Add to Goodreads

The immortal Seraphina is forced to face the darkness of her past—and risk losing the love of her life—in this second novel in the Incarnation series.

Seraphina has been living for centuries, thanks to a special method of alchemy, but only recently has she really felt alive. She’s finally broken free from her controlling boyfriend, Cyrus, and after years of swapping bodies to preserve her immortality, is happily settled into a life worth sticking with. Because in this life, she has Noah.

But Noah might not be as trustworthy as he seems. After he delivers an ominous message that could only come from Cyrus, Sera is worried that her new friends and family will find out her secret. And as her suspicions extend beyond Noah, Sera is forced to wonder about her new friends as well: Could her old coven be disguising themselves right under her nose?

Will Sera have to move to another body—and take another life—or can she find a way to keep what she’s got, forever?

I won't make an attempt at sugarcoating it--The Impossibility of Tomorrow was a really, really frustrating read for me, in a variety of ways. Having been an impressed reader with Avery William's debut, as well as this novel's predecessor, The Alchemy of Forever, I went into The Impossibility of Tomorrow with reasonably high expectations, predicting for all of those expectations to be surpassed. Ultimately, The Impossibility of Tomorrow proved to be an entirely disappointing read, meeting a portion of if not none of my preconceived expectations. 


Whereas the biggest downfall in The Alchemy of Forever was the character development, or lack thereof, the biggest downfall in The Impossibility of Tomorrow is undoubtedly its pacing, which, oddly enough, wasn't an issue in the slightest in the novel's predecessor. While there are still definite flaws concerning the character development, and I really don't have a concrete understanding of who the characters are behind the basics even now, that flaw that was so glaring in The Alchemy of Forever was just among the least of my concerns in The Impossibility of Tomorrow

When it takes more than three quarters of a novel for me to become even remotely interested in what is going on, there's an absolute problem. With an ending like the The Alchemy of Forever's (no spoilers, don't worry), I genuinely thought The Impossibility of Tomorrow would be a surefire thrill ride chocked full of suspense at every turn. But no. The little twist introduced to us at the end of The Alchemy of Forever? Resolved within the first fifteen percent or so of The Impossibility, and in one of the most frustrating ways imaginable. 

From that frustratingly tidy resolution of an awesome twist onward, things hadn't gotten better in the least, much thanks to aimless pacing and plotting. When things finally did pick up and got interesting, thrilling, and intense like I had expected the entire novel to be (this was all in the last quarter at most, mind you), I was unable to muster up any significant amount of interest concerning what was going on, and really I just wanted it all to be over. 

I'm giving this a half a star for getting interesting, and an extra half of a star for surprising me with a twist by the end, despite the fact that I likely would have gotten the twist down had I been more attached to the novel as I read it, bringing this rating to a wholly generous two stars. Based on the ending of The Impossibility of Tomorrow, whether or not there will be a third novel to follow The Alchemy and The Impossibility can go either way, but I think it's certainly safe to say I will not be sticking around to read it. 

Unless I'm informed that everyone with the exception of Noah dies. Yeah, maybe then I'd give it a shot. 

6 comments :

  1. It sucks that this was such a letdown. I have the first book, but haven't read it yet. I have to admit, I bought it for the cover. (The original one that's awesome) Maybe I will read that one and just call it good... or donate it or something. Great honest review Blythe!! Oh!! And totally off topic, I picked up Funny Games from my library after seeing you tweet about it! Hoping to watch it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh indeed. This sounds unbelievably frustrating, especially since you enjoyed the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven' t read any of these books you were talking about, but its always hard to write a review for a book that you thought was going to good, but it was a letdown instead... Thanks for being honest :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you find a good book soon. Sorry this wasn't what you'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is terribly disappointing! I liked the first book well enough, and after that twist I was expecting a thrilling and creepy follow up. It's a shame it was dealt with so cheaply, and that it didn't capture your interest. I think I'll skip this altogether now. Thanks for your thoughtful lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, I'm so sorry this one was disappointing, Blythe! I haven't read anything by Avery Williams, but if I was a fan and had high expectations, I'd be so frustrated with this one. Three-quarters to get into a book is definitely far too long for me, so I can completely understand your frustration. Also, lack of character development? That definitely turns me away.

    Again, I'm sorry this one wasn't as good as you hoped! Hopefully, your next read is better. Thanks for the candid review, Blythe! I think I'll pass on this series.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!