Review: Into the Still Blue by Veronica Rossi


Into the Still Blue
Veronica Rossi
Series: Under the Never Sky, #3
Released: January 28th, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Rating: 4 stars
Word Rating: Mostly satisfied
Reviewed by: Mel

Add to Goodreads

Their love and their leadership have been tested. Now it's time for Perry and Aria to unite the Dwellers and the Outsiders in one last desperate attempt to bring balance to their world.

The race to the Still Blue has reached a stalemate. Aria and Perry are determined to find this last safe-haven from the Aether storms before Sable and Hess do-and they are just as determined to stay together.

Meanwhile, time is running out to rescue Cinder, who was abducted by Hess and Sable for his unique abilities. And when Roar returns to camp, he is so furious with Perry that he won't even look at him, and Perry begins to feel like they have already lost.

Out of options, Perry and Aria assemble a team to mount an impossible rescue mission-because Cinder isn't just the key to unlocking the Still Blue and their only hope for survival, he's also their friend. And in a dying world, the bonds between people are what matter most.

In this final book in her stunning Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi raises the stakes to their absolute limit and brings her epic love story to an unforgettable close.


Into The Still Blue is the final conclusion to the Under the Never Sky trilogy and delivered a lot of kick-assery, sweet romance, unforgettable friendships and higher stakes for all the characters. And as a last instalment does, Veronica Rossi adds to this mix with some heartbreak, second chances and sacrifices.

Our two main characters, Perry and Aria were both fantastic narrators and have both come so far. Perry’s bravery and leadership is strong and I enjoyed his determination to get to the Still Blue. As for Aria, she has the longest way. She used to be an innocent and weak girl who didn’t know how to handle a knife, but now she’s a badass chick ready to fight with all the strength she has in her. The romance is equally brilliant; there were barely any miscommunications, and when there were, Perry and Aria they talked it out. This is what a genuine relationship is like! Veronica Rossi creates such authentic and three dimensional characters, they really cling onto you and never let go even once the story has ended.

Along with Perry and Aria, there’s also the beloved Roar. We see a different side to him in Into The Still Blue, he is grieving and utterly lost after what happened to Liv, most of the time just sitting there, staring at nothing. While he could’ve turned into a whiny character, he didn’t. Veronica Rossi portrays his sadness and loss realistically; I even started to feel my own blanket of sadness covering me. What Veronica Rossi does best is creating the ultimate, platonic friendship between a girl and a boy. Aria and Roar’s friendship was complete romance free and I absolutely loved it their interactions. They help each other through tough situations and give advice to each other (including love advice); it’s absolutely amazing and still hilarious despite Roar’s slightly more sorrowful demeanour. I am still waiting for another author to make a friendship like Veronica Rossi’s.

After the epic second instalment Veronica Rossi delivered, I’ll be honest and say that I did expect her conclusion to the Under the Never Sky series to be grander and end with more of a ‘bang’. I felt that the ending of this book was rushed and many things that I had wildly anticipating for most of the book wasn’t made so significant when the time came. Yes, I wanted more of a dramatic feel; I wanted my heart to rush till the very end. I wanted a better climax.

Even though the ending was weaker than I had wanted it to be, Into The Still Blue was still a wonderful last instalment, saying a last goodbye to our favourite characters. I definitely will be on the lookout for more of this author’s works; they are just bound to be wonderful.

5 comments :

  1. I had the chance to read the story via a friend's ARC. I agree with the review but i believe that the ending was satisfactory. My only worry at the ending was Roar. He is the only one who is left alone at the end of the series. Even Brooke has a love interest. If at the future Veronica writes about him i will be truly grateful.

    Thank you for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reviewed this one today too :-) You nailed it in this review...I felt the same way. I was satisfied with how Rossi wrapped things up but there was something missing from the end--anti-climatic is right on. Wasn't enough to keep me from loving this book though. I already miss Aria, Roar and Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it wouldn't matter how Rossi ended this, I was going to be slightly disappointed - Through the Ever Night was just so good! I'm glad to hear that, even though it's a bit weak at the end, you still found it satisfying enough. Hopefully I feel the same when this comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this series yet. I've heard a bunch of hype about it and I figure that I might as well start it soon. The last one just came out so yeah :) Great review! <333

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great read with action adventure and romance. loved the conclusion to the trilogy! thank you veronica rossi!! Perry, Aria, Roar and others are all great characters.
    Best Seattle search engine optimization for more info

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog!